Reading Goals: August 2022

Reading and Panning philosophy: 13 by Halloween

I've been trying to apply the "13 by Halloween" philosophy of panning makeup onto reading. 

If you're not familiar, a 13 by Halloween project pan is for makeup - trying to use up 13 makeup or skincare items by Halloween. I'm going to try and apply that for reading goals - trying to finish 13 books by Halloween.

I want to break things up a little - going by month. I've got my list all cued up already for 13 by Halloween. I'll include the full list at the end.





The rotation for August


A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole

So far, I've really been loving this - it's the "loner scientist meets a Real Actual Prince" setup, mixed with the "he lies and doesn't say he's a prince, and it gets revealed at the Worst Possible Moment."

Right now, though, the Worst Possible Moment is only about halfway through the book, so it's definitely been interesting. I want to see where this goes!

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

I haven't read this since high school, but I love Neil Gaiman's writing style. Especially in Stardust, the writing style feels like a fairy tale.

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

I have a terrible confession. Despite having a tattoo IN SINDARIN, I've never actually finished the entire series of Lord of the Rings. I've read Fellowship a few times - the last time about 10 years ago - this WILL BE THE TIME I finish the series, folks. 

The Rest of 13 by Halloween

The rest of the books are:





The Two Towers - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Return of the King - J.R.R. Tolkien
The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien
Ghosts - Edith Wharton
The Ornament of the World - This is another one I've had for years, but I haven't actually finished yet. 
Devil in the White City - Erik Larson - I got this as part of a Buy Nothing group. I've seen it around dark history circles, and I can't wait to dig into it.
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - I haven't finished this since the last attempt, documented on this blog! 
Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia - I bought this last year. I heard most of the audiobook through the library, but I had started a new job and couldn't finish it before it was automatically returned. Since there was a 2-month waiting list to get the audiobook again, I bought the book. And somehow I still haven't finished it???
Women's Work - Elizabeth Wayland Barber - I was recommended this in a college archaeology course, and haven't actually finished it. I've been knitting and crocheting for 20 years, and was curious about ancient fiber arts.
Black Tudors - Miranda Kaufmann - I bought this a few months ago, trying to diversify my reading and history.

Comments

Popular Posts