NaNoWriMo Introduction!

Hey, remember when I posted literary content on here sometimes? Time to get back to that. This post is about National Novel Writing Month. If you haven't heard of it, NaNoWriMo is a challenge to write a 50,000 word novel during the 30 days of November. For reference, The Great Gatsby is a little under 50,000 words.

I've been doing NaNoWriMo every years since 2010, when I was a junior in high school. I thought it would be fun and, so I did a plot based on that of the Paper Mario game for Nintendo 64, but with a female knight rescuing her best friend the Prince. I had creatures akin to Koopas and companions similar to those in the game, and I never actually finished it, even though I passed the 50k mark.

I'm not in high school anymore, and my writing style has changed a bit. I've had three completely original plots in the 8 years I've been doing NaNoWriMo; one of them resulted in my highest word count ever (a little over 100,000 words, and still one of the things I've proudest of, even though 100,000 words of editing is daunting and I wrote it in 2011). The other two I never finished or hit the 50k mark, because I didn't have a clear direction with them.

Since then I've often written novels based (sometimes loosely) on fairy tales. In 2014, the novel was based loosely on Beauty and the Beast; 2015 was about what happened after Sleeping Beauty woke up, and 2016 was another favorite and based loosely on Snow White, but with vampires. (I tried avoiding any paranormal romance).

I usually write fantasy because, weirdly, it's easier for me. I can make up the rules and the history for each world without working around the rules that already exist in ours. I only say that because this year I'm writing historical fantasy set in 1770s Philadelphia. I thought I knew a few things about the revolutionary war period, but I've had to learn a lot to write this. I've done another fairy-tale-based plot, this time on Cinderella, featuring a character who winds up becoming a fairy godmother (like with magic and everything, because I like having something familiar). There's been a lot of research in to everything from a map of historic Philadelphia to the arc of the revolutionary war to the history of the City Tavern, where the novel is set.

If I have a blog while doing NaNo, I usually do daily posts (the exception was last year, because I didn't have a blog last year). I plan on doing the same thing this year. I'll try and post at 9:00 pm every day in November, but if I don't post it means I'm writing a lot. I'll still post beauty content once a week in addition to the daily NaNoWriMo post.

Do any of you do NaNoWriMo? Add me! My username is drillbit_the_knitter; I'd love to meet you!

Comments

Popular Posts