NaNoWriMo Day 1 Update: A Prologue's Worth 1,800 Words?

Current Day: 1!
Current Word Count/ page: 2000 Words/ 5.5 pages
Target Word Count/ pages: 2,250 Words/ 6 pages
What's Happened So Far in the plot? Well, not much, really. I intended to have the prologue as a throwaway page or two, but it turned out to be five pages and an interesting character sketch. The main character, Florence, got a long life in addition to being a fairy godmother at the end of the novel (spoiler alert?), and most of the story is Florence telling her story as a frame tale.
As I just mentioned, I wanted the prologue to be two pages tops, but it turned out to be five. I'm not mad at it. Words are words, after all, and I like that it built a little more of Florence's character in the 21st century before going back to the 18th. The character that Florence tells her story to is Walter, the manager of the City Tavern in the 21st century. In-universe in the 21st Century, Florence owns the tavern in addition to be a fairy godmother. I'm not putting Walter's last name in this post or in the novel because he's loosely based on a real person and I don't want anyone to get too angry at me.
Anyway, I started Chapter 1 on Page 6, so there's not much that's happened so far. I've mostly established Florence's heritage and her numerous names. Florence's full name is Florence Grace Elizabeth Webster Green. If you think that's excessive, well.... you're right. Florence adopted a few middle names and got married once, so she has a few aliases to choose from over the centuries.
What do I hope to do for the rest of the day and early tomorrow? Firstly, finish up introducing Florence's backstory. Secondly, to start on the Inciting Incident. What is the novel's Inciting Incident? I haven't quite decided yet. Part of me wants the Inciting Incident to be her father's death or his wedding to the stepmother. Another part of me says it should be the building of the City Tavern, and a third part says it should be Paul Revere's arrival in the City Tavern to announce the things that happened in Boston in 1774.

That's all for now, stay tuned for details!

Comments

Popular Posts