NaNoWriMo Day 6: remember when I had an idea?

Current Day: 6
Current Page/ word count: 30/ 11,250
Par Page/ Word Count: 26.7/ 10,002
My Goal Page/ Word Count: 36/ 13,500

Firstly, I apologize for not updating over the weekend - I had a few tours and couldn't get down to writing as much as I wanted, hence how I fell behind on my personal word count goals. I'm moving well along now that the weekend is done, and I'm aiming to hit at least page 32 (12,000 words) tonight. Oddly, this weekend was worse for me than general workdays - I don't know if it's because it's just easier to steal words during slow times during lunch and towards the end of the afternoon, but it was definitely easier to get four pages in today than it was over the weekend.

I'm also starting to get back into the general plot - this weekend was a some padding and some setting things up for later on in the novel (Florence actually gets an inheritance, because she doesn't have any brothers. She's 11 when her father dies, so she can't inherit right away). It's probably recognizable as a Cinderella story right now, but maybe not. There's one really mean stepsister and a stepmother that's kind of awful, but the other stepsister is actually nice. The stepmother isn't blatantly awful, but she's still kind of awful. (Well, maybe more than kind of. Editing Lisa will need to review it to make sure). She remarried a year after the death of Florence's father, and the new husband made Florence sign up to be indentured. Well, he didn't make her become indentured, but he made some coercive threats.

I've learned a bit about inheritance law in trying to write over the weekend. The most interesting thing I learned was about the Widow's Third (I don't know if that's actually what it's called): a widow was entitled to about 1/3 of her deceased husband's assets, after debts and taxes had been settled and the property specifically designated for someone else has been transferred. Usually the widow gets the house, which is how it was easy for widows to start taverns or take over the husband's license. I don't think Mary the stepmother would start her own tavern - that's why she married Daniel Smith. Mr. Smith is the actual historical first manager of the City Tavern in Philadelphia, so that's why I had her marry him.

I'm excited to get into the area I actually researched for, but I'm also a little nervous. I know the historic timeline for a lot of the Revolutionary War (ish). The main timeline I've found on the modern City Tavern website starts with the actual construction of the building in 1773 ish; the first Really Big Event there is when Paul Revere comes to announce the closing of the port at Boston in May of 1774.  Exciting things!  I really need to work on learning the political side of the tavern - how much would Florence hear about the closing of Boston? How much would she already know?

Have a good night and a good week!

Comments

Popular Posts