NaNoWriMo Day 2: "YOU CAN'T SIT WITH US!" (Mean Girls/ my novel)

Current Day: 2
NaNoWriMo Target Word Count: 3,333 (9 pages)
My Target Word Count: 4,500 (12 pages)
Current Word Count: 4,600 (just starting page 13)

SO, WHAT'S GOING ON SO FAR?
I've finally gotten a bit of real and proper backstory in. This is a Cinderella sort of narrative set in 18th century Philadelphia, and I'm finally working on the reasons why Florence's stepfamily are mean to her. (It's rooted in some racism, and probably going to need a lot of editing as I figure out more about how people of Florence's particular background were treated and as I figure out more about the character traits of the stepfamily). I may be falling into a retelling trope with a Cinderella story in that the younger of the two stepsisters is less awful than the elder. In this case, Florence is the middle child of the three (at the time of writing the particular scene, Ann is the eldest at 11, Florence is 9, and Charity is 6). Charity likes Florence because Florence said she would be Charity's friend, and that's all Charity really needs. Ann doesn't like Florence because her mother thinks Ann and Charity are too good to be consorting with someone who hangs out with the housekeeper.

I'm about to kill Florence's father, which is a little disappointing. I'm introducing the future love interest in the same or similar scene. His name is Ezra Green; he's the nephew of Florence's father's partner in law. The law partner is also part of the fairy tale society that's pushing Ezra and Florence together. I sort of want something better to push them together than the father's death, at least at first. I don't plan on making Ezra a love interest for Florence when he's 14 and she's 9. That's gross. I do need something to force them to interact in close proximity.

I may not have mentioned this earlier, but I generally write my NaNoWriMo novels by hand. The difficulty with this, of course, is that I tend to write them down and never actually type them up. This has good parts, of course: there's always backup for when I accidentally leave my flash drive, featuring 90,000+ words of my longest novel, in the pocket of the jeans I just ran through the washer and dryer. (I had nightmares about that one.) Of course, the difficulty lies in getting around to typing the words up in the first place. It takes more patience than I sometimes have, and sometimes it means I go through a lot of pens.

The pens I'm using this year are particularly... fluid is not the right word. I'm using gel ink pens to write my novel this year, and it's definitely not my favorite thing. Most ballpoint pens will last me a week during NaNoWriMo - even those cheap BIC ones that come in packs of 10 for like $5 will last me at least 7 days, sometimes more. The pen I'm using this year is almost out of ink and it's day 2 of NaNoWriMo. I don't know if it's because it's a gel pen, or maybe the pen wasn't full when I started (that is totally possible). Either way, this is going alarmingly fast, and I probably won't be repurchasing that particular brand of pen for NaNo.

That's all I have for now. Do any of you have pens you like to write with, for novels or otherwise? Do you have a preference for ink color or plots? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts