23 things I've learned in 23 years

I know y'all have been getting a lot of extra wednesday posts lately, and they're going to keep coming for a little while. I just wanted to do a quick, cliche list post, since my 23rd birthday was on Monday. Here are 23 things I've learned in 23 years.

1. Don't be an asshole. It's surprising how much you can accomplish by being polite. People say I'm nice, but I often just say "how are you" and "have a good one" at the beginning and end of conversation and somehow that translates, even on days when I hate people.

2. If you act like an asshole to people in customer service to get things you want, that's not furthering yourself in the long run. Sure, you get the discount/ freebie/ whatever, but you're also the new asshole of the month for everyone behind the scenes. (that's not to say you ought to be a pushover. Just be nice and don't yell at customer service.)

3. I have no idea what I'm doing. Yes, I know I'm writing this right now, I know the jobs I work and everything like that. But grad school? Career? Life in general? NOPE.

4. I have a vague clue about what I want to be doing, and that's okay. For now.

5. If you don't like someone, still be polite to them. There are a few people I know who are a little off in one way or another, to the point where they don't get along with everyone. They're usually not bad people, and they shouldn't be treated that way. How would you feel if you kept being alienated?

6. I can't do winged eyeliner to save my life, and that's okay.

7. Sometimes wearing ridiculous eyeliner colors is fun. Sometimes.

8. Work parties can be fun. Go to at least one. If nothing else, there might be free snacks and you might witness the Crazy Thing that becomes Workplace Lore.

9. If you aren't compatible with your roommate, address it as best you can, especially in college when you're sharing a room and space is limited. The person you're sharing your living space with  is the worst person to not get along with.

10. There's no shame in living with your parents if you're trying to save up enough to move out.

11. There will be times when you have to work on holidays, especially if you're in customer service. In the last few months, I've worked on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I'm scheduled to work on Easter, too.

12. Appreciate your time off, especially if you have to work on Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, your birthday, and family reunions.

13. If you give it a solid shot and hate it, then don't keep going.

14. You might be surprised at what people are surprised by. Someone recently said she was surprised I'm comfortable in front of crowds because I'm usually fairly quiet. I've also been told to talk to my actor friends about projecting from the diaphragm. (I did theater and choir for 12 years. I know how to project, and I haven't had stage fright since age 10.)

15. Don't torture yourself with doing things you hate that aren't necessary. (paying bills sucks, but it's necessary. Reading terrible books isn't necessary, so get the book out of your life.)

16. If you can afford to travel, do. Especially for education. I got to go to Greece and Turkey for a choir/ religion class in college, and I would have never gotten to see 1000-year-old monasteries or sung at the Ephesian amphitheater otherwise.

17. Read something. It could be beauty blogs. It could be Classical Greek Literature. It could be home decor magazines, or  YA novels, or obscure manuscripts about vampire hunting. Just get engaged with something - you can be the person who has a weird knowledge of vampires, or you might find someone else who also is interested in it.

18. Don't poo-poo Greek life in college before you try it. Some of my best friends were from my service fraternity, and I've met two people at work who were part of the same organization at other chapters. (that's not to say drama doesn't happen, but it's the 'drama among friends' type of stuff.)

19. You don't need to spend a ton of money for an amazing makeup product. My favorite red lipstick (one of maybe two that I wear) is $6. (But if all your Top Makeup Items are expensive, that's okay. I hope you have the budget for it.)

20. Get a job in high school and college if you can, even if you don't need one. You'll get money and you'll have a resume. It helps a lot when you're trying to apply for full-time positions.

21. Work out. Even if it's a walk around the block twice a week.

22. Sometimes you learn great things during sucky times. I found a career path I enjoy because I needed to get out of the house after a breakup.

23. I sound like a broken record, but it bears repeating: be nice to people.

Comments

Popular Posts