Reading Goals - Winter 2017/18

Welcome back, and welcome to a new year! I've got a lot of goals for this new year - one of which is that I want to reboot the Bookish Friday part of this blog. I called it Pretty Bookish Things, after all. Instead of doing monthly goals, I'm going to do seasonal reading goals, and to set myself more reasonable goals. here are the five books I want to read (well, four books and an audiobook) by the end of February. Let's get into it!

There are two books of the 46 Books Challenge (another thing I'm bringing back) that I want to complete. I hope to do at least one 46 Books post a month; I'm going to go in chronological order this time. Because of that, that first two books up are Emma by Jane Austen and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I've listened to Emma on audio format, and that's what I'm doing again (that's why it's not pictured here). I've never read Frankenstein before in any format, so I'm excited to get into it.

Next is Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. Collins also wrote Woman in White, which I read for 46 Books last year. This is another instance where I'm surprise this didn't make it onto the 46 Books List, but another book from Collins did. When I was perusing for information about Collins for the 46 List, Moonstone came up more frequently than Woman in White did. Apparently Moonstone was an iconic Victorian Detective novel, involving cursed diamonds and the fallibility of memory.

Another book I've already started and want to finish is Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan, and it's very different from Moonstone. It involves a secret society of book enthusiasts, and the main characters try to crack the code through technology. One of the main characters works for Google, for example. It's definitely an inventive concept, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Finally, for a nonfiction book, I'm reading Women's Work: the first 20,000 Years; Women, Cloth, and Society in Early Times by Elizabeth Wayland Barber. I first heard about this book in an archaeology class in college. I asked the professor after class if there were any books about experimental archaeology with knitting or fiber-related things, and she directed me to this. I took a photo of the cover, but I only actually picked it up recently. I'm excited to get through this.

Those are my reading goals for the next few months! What are you reading?

Comments

Popular Posts