JANUARY WRAP-UP

Well. I guess I can't read as much as I anticipated.
My goal was to read four books this month, and I finished one that I had already started. I guess I'm slower at reading than I anticipated.
This month, I finished reading The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins this month (a LitCritKnit video will be coming on that soon), and I've been working on it since Christmas. (yes, I know, it's not great that a book blogger can only get through one book a month.)
Anyway, this book is a bit of a slog for the middle, but the end makes it worth it - there are so many twists, but you have to deal with a lot of detail to get there. Once it gets going, it really gets going. (I was talking to a coworker about this, and apparently that's kind of a thing Wilkie Collins does.) Wilkie Collins also kind of invented the detective novel (A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes book, wasn't published until 1887, about 30 years after The Woman in White).
So the summary will be coming in the LitCritKnit video, but the main characters include Walter Hartright (an art teacher who can conveniently run to South America for 300 pages), Marian Halcombe (who actually gets stuff done while he's gone), Laura Fairlie/ Glyde (who kind of bugs me but is not inherently problematic), Sir Percival Glyde (whose source of money problems is still ambiguous), Count Foscoe (who really bugs me but that's kind of the point), and Anna Catherick (who is super pale and then SPOILERS).
In all, I did like this book - yes, it took a month to get through, but the twists made it worth it.

CROSSOVER:
If Jane Eyre and any Sherlock Holmes book had a kid, this would probably be it.

It passes the Bechdel Test, in case you were wondering, and Marian is an active female character.

In all, I'd give it 4/5 stars. It lost 1.5 stars for slowness, but regained .5 for how good it was once it got going.

Comments

Popular Posts