Why my collection is cruelty-free

I made a deliberate choice to buy all cruelty-free makeup about this time last year. It wasn't a difficult transition; with the exception of two Revlon lipsticks and a few Maybelline eyeshadow duos, my collection was mostly cruelty-free already. I didn't have too much makeup to begin with, either - my collection has grown quickly since last year.
But why choose brands that avoid animal testing? Some brands get away with saying they're cruelty-free because the formulas were tested on animals by other companies many years ago. Even though that's not the greatest thing ever, the testing has already been done, and the research can be used.
BUT there are other ways to test cosmetics without harming animals. I suggest you check out the Stuff You Should Know podcast episode with extra links to more info (check it out here). This episode came out in September 2016, so it's recent enough to be relevant. Many of the things they mention here - how skin can be imitated in the lab, and how animal tests might not always be indicative of human results - contribute to why I want to keep my collection cruelty-free.
There are two issues that might be addressed: when cruelty-free companies are owned by companies that DO actively test on animals, AND if the company sells in China (where third-party animal testing is required by law).
Personally, I still buy cruelty-free brands that are owned by other brands that test - NYX is one of my favorite brands, but L'Oreal, its parent company, DOES test on animals. I still buy NYX products because the color payoff is amazing, and if L'Oreal is going to get a lot of my money, I want them to get it through a channel that doesn't test on animals. If more money goes through a cruelty-free option like NYX, then maybe L'Oreal will take a hint.
I also tend to avoid brands that claim to be cruelty-free except for selling in China. It's not something I actively avoid, but it will sway my decision.

Comments

Popular Posts