My Reading Goals for January 2017

Hello everyone! Welcome to the first literary post of 2017!
As you can tell from the menu bar at the top of the page, I'm trying to read 42 books in the space of... however long it takes me to read 42 books. I'm hoping for the end of 2017, but I'll take what I can get. If you didn't see the YouTube video I made about this challenge, click here to go watch it. (Basically, of all the Lists of 100 Books, I condensed them all to 42 books to read in a lifetime).

I have four books I hope to read by the time January is over: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins, Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, and Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad.

Jude the Obscure and Lolita seem to be similar in that they both deal with romance and sexual identity outside of normal practices. It'll be interesting to see the different approaches and, honestly, to see how salacious things actually get.

I'm already about halfway through The Woman in White, so this is something of a freebie. This is a gothic mystery - WHO IS THIS WOMAN? - but also apparently looks at mental health and gender.

This will be the third time I've attempted to read Heart of Darkness. Both times before were in school - first in senior year of high school and then in senior year of college. Each time, I nearly wrote a major paper on the book. I changed my mind because there was the small problem that, in both instances, I never actually got to the end of the novel. I have trouble doing that sometimes, especially with books assigned in school. Still, maybe third time's the charm here?


Thanks for reading, and I'll see you at the end of the month with a wrap-up!

Comments

Popular Posts