How I organize my bookshelf

I recently got a new bookshelf (I needed a size upgrade from my 3.25-foot-tall bookshelf that I've had since elementary school), and, as of Wednesday morning, it has finally been all put together instead of lying in my room in a bunch of shelves and sides.
There are plenty of ways to organize bookshelves - just look on Pinterest if you need new ideas. I personally went with a combination of topical organization (for the nonfiction) and alphabetical by author. Since this is new and tall, I went from the bottom up, so I wound up with a little extra space at the top of the shelves.
This is in no way to brag about how many books I have, but more to do with inspiration/ bookshelf tour. Without further ado, let's get into the actual bookshelf tour.

Here on the top shelf, as I mentioned, I had some extra space. So these are a bunch of old photo albums my mom made when I was little and the start of the fiction. Beowulf and Gothic Tales are both up here because the editors' names start with A.


This next shelf is more of the same. Ursula K. Le Guin is with the Gs because I said so, and it's my bookshelf so whatever. I really need to read more of her books. I really enjoyed reaing All Souls trilogy, in case you're interested in getting into a fantasy romance trilogy. You'll recognize a few of these from the 46 books challenge as well.


This is the third shelf and the last of the fiction shelves - some fantasy, some classics. I didn't plan on the nonfiction part being exactly two shelves - I worked from the bottom up - but I appreciate that it wound up that way. Also, Geoffrey of Monmouth's "History of the Kings of Britain" is between Scarlet and Deed of Paksenarrion. It's too close to fiction (King Arthur is in there) to be with history, but it's still on that border.



Okay, so nonfiction: I organized them first by topic and then by author. Shelf #4:


So, far left: first are a few books on yarn and knitting. In case I've never mentioned it before, I've been knitting since I was seven years old, and it's become kind of a problem. The next few are about gender and sexuality things. I didn't enjoy Foucalt at all, but it was assigned in class one year and I wound up keeping it. The Feminine Mystique was assigned in a 60s class and I didn't finish that either.
The next thirteen are history books. Again, they're mostly organized by author, except the last five. They're all American history (which is in part because I like the topic and partly because I work directly with American history. Not pictured, because I'm currently reading it, is David McCullough's biography of John Adams).
Then are language books: Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue is how English is a crazy language to learn. I have two books on Tolkien's linguistics, which just shows you how much of a nerd I am. I also have four Greek books and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. I bought these all as textbooks (Canterbury Tales is in Middle English) and I haven't felt like decluttering. Not pictured, because I'm reading it during Lent, is the Greek New Testament.

FINAL SHELF! WHOOO!


the first few books here are about writing and editing. Then are ghost stories (it's also relevant to my work - my side job is talking about ghosts), and a few books about fairy tales, mythology, and symbolism. Also, one book about religious history in Spain and three books about Christianity (I've been curious about Christian history for a while, and I was raised United Methodist). Finally, four books on Shakespeare. Two of are from a class I did in college, and the others are just for fun.

Thanks for sticking around and reading!

Comments

Popular Posts