MARCH WRAPUP AND APRIL GOALS

Well, I didn't get a lot of reading done this month. My goal this month was to read Wuthering Heights for the 46 Books Challenge, and I didn't finish it. (Mainly because I hate Wuthering Heights and I started feeling guilty when I tried to read something else, because I knew I should be reading it).
I learned this month that I need to take out more time to read outside of quiet moments at work (if only because quiet moments at work aren't going to happen over the next few months), and I also need to get through books I can't stand so I can move on to other things.
My goal next month for the 46 Books Challenge is twofold: finish Wuthering Heights, and read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
With regards to the first: I should have finished it weeks ago. My goal is to get it over with so I can rage at it, do a video on it, and then never speak of it again.
With regards to the second: It's short. It should be quick. It was released on my birthday in 1925. (Except it wouldn't be my birthday for another few decades, obviously.) In case you don't know the plot, The Great Gatsby is about rich people and excess and also unrequited love and adultery?? (This is what I'm gathering from various spoiler-free reviews, even though I already know that at least two people die).
Most people read this book in high school, but I was never assigned it. It should be a fairly short read - it's about the length of a NaNoWriMo novel, at around 50,060 words. (That might be a little low, but it also means I've written novels longer than this book.) I hope I'll be able to get through it before the end of the month.
I also want to read at least one other book this month that isn't part of the 46 Books Challenge. That might be a little ambitious, but I need to challenge myself. If I don't get through it, whatever! If I do get through it, HOORAY! For this, I want to read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I just bought this recently, and I've heard good things about it. I know it came out several years ago, but I only recently got my hands on it.
For an extra fun extra stretch to read a nonfiction book, I'll try to make progress in Liberty's Exiles by Maya Jasanoff. According to the back cover, after the American Revolution, 60,000 people who had been British Loyalists had to flee the now-United States; the book follows a few specific people as they go to Canada, the Caribbean, Sierra Leone, and India, among other places. It should be interesting.

Comments

Popular Posts