What I read/ write

I know my main goal is to finish the 46 books challenge (which has been stagnant for a few months, I know), but what do I read beyond that? Well, a few different things.
As you've been able to tell, I have an interest in history - especially Classical history and American history. (I work at an American history museum, so I have easy access to a lot of American history books with an employee discount). When reading about American history, I'm interested in the colonial/ early republic era through the civil war (I just bought a book on the pivotal battles of the civil war - I'm vaguely interested in it, but I'm definitely not a civil war enthusiast). Basically, I'm interested in anything that's pre-20th century. I don't know why I get so bored by later American/ world history, but it could be more that I work so much in the early republic/ colonial period of American history (between two jobs and a recurring volunteer gig, I have a few opinions on it). But I'm interested in tavern history of that era as well - again, because of that volunteer gig. (I started volunteering at a historic tavern about three years ago, and I did my college internship there as well, so you could say I'm really into it).
for classical things, I'm mostly interested in Greek things. I studied Ancient Greek in college, so I'm more interested in that than in Latin things, but I won't say no to a Roman-related book. Of those topics, I tend to gravitate to studies of gender dynamics and mythology.

For fiction, I really like fantasy, both high fantasy and urban fantasy. I really enjoyed the Shadowhunter chronicles when I was in high school, but I haven't kept up with the rest of the series. I've also tried to read Game of Thrones (even though I'm only partway through the first book, and I've only seen one episode of the show, I still hate spoilers because I'm still determined to read it). It's still on my shelf, and I'm determined to finish it, dammit!
In general, for authors, I've really enjoyed Tamora Pierce's writing style, as well as Deborah Harkness and Jane Austen - anyone with a distinctive style that's straightforward and not super flowery is fine by me! (AKA if you have any suggestions, now is the time!)

Comments

Popular Posts